Who are you, and what do you do?
My name is Scott Wallace and I'm a hacker at heart. This means that I love technology and messing about with it until it does what I want it to -- not the other way around. I'm a "contracting IT Systems Engineer". I like to think that I specialise in automation but it's really just scripting myself out of work. I'm essentially a mercenary and will work for the highest bidder. My main area of expertise lies around the Internet and web technologies.
What hardware are you using?
- Google Pixel 2 mobile phone
- Kore Essentials wallet
- Leatherman Squirt PS4 pocket knife
- Archer 1A V3 torch
- Garmin Fēnix 3 HR watch
- Yubikey 5 NFC for a physical MFA token
- 5th generation Kindle
- Overboard Pro-Light backpack
- AfterShokz Trekz Titanium headphones
- Pedale88 Crono-S bike
- Hiplok V150 bike lock
- EC Technology 8-Port 60W 12A USB Charger
- Mid-2016 13" Macbook Pro Retina laptop
- Raspberry Pi
- Roku Express
- Samsung Series 8 LED TV
- Logitech Harmony 600 universal remote
- Sonos speakers
- ASUS Flip C302CA Chromebook
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones
- bTunes bluetooth adapter for the M50X headphones
And what software?
- CentOS for servers
- Ubuntu 19.04 for desktops
- Mac OS X Sierra for non-Linux Macs
- Android for mobile phones
- WireGuard VPN software
- Resilio for BitTorrent-based file synchronisation
- Matrix, a self-hosted, secure chat server
- Searx, a self-hosted, meta search engine
- Ansible for automated desktop builds
- Mozilla Firefox browser
- Enpass password manager
- Pi-hole to block ads
- Visual Studio Code IDE
- Mullvad VPN provider
- G Suite
- Google Drive
- Google Photos
- di.fm for EDM streaming
- FreeAgent for company book-keeping
What would be your dream setup?
A simple, light but fast computer that has access to the Internet from anywhere and acts as a WiFi-hotspot, even when closed. My mobile phone would be a combination of a PAN, the laptop and my watch. All powered with super-futuristic batteries that don't require charging as we know it today.. I'd also really love there to be a single movie and TV streaming service that provided all the world's content to anyone with a subscription and Internet access.
I'd also love an adjustable height desk such as the Geek Desk.